Saturday, October 24, 2009

Are Breath Holding Spells Dangerous?



This was on my AOL headline today, "Are Breath Holding Spells Dangerous?" I had to view this article because my youngest son, Caleb, did this from age 1 to 3. We all were a nervous wreck. Everytime he did it, Noah and Isaac would run to him, start crying and they would try to "revive" him. All drs. and even the media say it is harmless, but those few 10-20 seconds your child has passed out and is the color blue stops you cold in your tracks. Caleb is now 4 and has not done it since he has been 4 AND I AM GLAD! I just wanted to blog about it because his BHS (breath holding spells) occurred around 30 different times. After he did it, I would look him in the eye and tell him that he could be damaging his brain. The more I would talk to him, the more infrequent the spells occurred, but he would still do it! I am so thankful that milestone is over at the Geary Gang's house.

Here is a portion of the news article

WENN.com
By Deborah Huso

When the "Daily Mail" released the news that singer Charlotte Church’s two-year-old daughter, Ruby, was suffering from a strange, but not uncommon childhood disorder known as Breath Holding Spells (BHS), the media had a small field day. As it turns out, however, BHS, though alarming to parents, is fairly common and not life threatening

3 comments:

April said...

Okay. I did this, too. My mom used to throw water in my face and everything. I don't remember any of it, but she does. It was so good hearing from you the other day. I feel like it's been ages since I saw you. Are you ever moving back home??? Just wondered. I miss seeing all the people I went to school with.

Leah @ A Butterfly In My Stomach said...

We are looking to move back soon! I am excited to see you all again too!

Lesley said...

Hi Leah! I was excited to see your comment on my blog the other day! Your family is beautiful : ) I see your mom from time to time and she fills me in. I remember her telling me several years ago about one of your kids shutting a car door on another's finger and how bad it was. Funny thing - I remind my own kids of that story sometimes so they'll be more careful! ha!

Swidget 1.0

Followers